Python in the enterprise: Pros and cons

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Jul 11 08:54:20 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1026341659.10532.python-list at python.org>,
David LeBlanc <whisper at oz.net> wrote:
			.
>My conclusion is that Python is entirely ready for the enterprise - and it's
>already there!
			.
			.
			.
I read Ms. Fraser's article more charitably than
others who have been following up here.  I thought
she made clear that she's reporting on both tech-
nical reality and organizational perception.  So,
for example, it doesn't matter (boy, can I testify
it doesn't matter) that Python is, for example,
as fast as Java, if a customer is incapable of
retaining that fact.

My main point, though, is to encourage the folks
working on Pyadvocacy pages.  In particular, yes,
it's absolutely true that Python is already in the
enterprise, and thriving.  I know, for example, of
companies which provide goods and services at
rates of over a million customer-contacts per
month, in which Python plays a central role.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net