locale on Japanese win XP

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Wed Jul 24 06:00:20 EDT 2002

amir at clockwise3d.com (Amir Hadar) writes:

> I'm trying to get the locale settings with the locale module under Japanese
> windows XP.
> when I try to set the locale settings with the following command:
>
> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,'')
>
> the locale throws the following exception:
>
> locale.Error locale settings not supported
>
> Any ideas?

Interesting. Please try the following:
- use _locale.setlocale, instead of locale.
- try settting individual categories only (in particular LC_TIME,
  LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, and LC_MONETARY)

If any of those succeeds, please report the details.

Also, is the Japanese XP proper, English XP with Japanese MUI, or just
English XP with Japanese local settings? If Japanese XP, are the
locale settings left at their defaults?

Regards,
Martin