"Tickets" and XML-RPC authentication

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no
Mon Jul 15 17:05:53 EDT 2002

In article <0FiY8.16023$p56.5181944 at newsb.telia.net>, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
>
>> If I have only one server/service, and that service takes care of its
>> own authentication (i.e. no Kerberos-like stuff), is there any point
>> to using a ticket/cookie-based system?
>>
>> In other words, is there any point to doing this:
>>
>>   ticket = server.authenticate('username', 'password')
>>   server.performService(ticket, some, other, params)
>>
>> rather than
>>
>>   server.performService('username', 'password', some, other, params)
>>
>> ?
>
>if you assume that a potential attacker sees everything you do
>all the time, and don't care about performance and complexity,
>no.

Well, I do care about complexity... Not sure if the performance boost
here is something I care too much about, though ;)

As for attackers listening in -- I guess you mean that I might want to
have one secure (ssl) login-call, and then do the rest in the open?
I'm not completely sure why I then wouldn't want to wrapp it all in a
secure connection...

>tickets can make both the client and the server simpler if you
>want to associate lots of content with an XML-RPC "connection";

I see -- session handling, more or less.

>it allows you to distinguish between different clients using the same
>username/password, it makes it easier to let "connections" expire,
>etc.

Yes.

The API complexity and session handling were the two things I was able
to think of...

>(and Dave Winer would never think of doing things that way ;-)

>and yes, if a potential attacker doesn't see everything, it may
>even be a bit safer.  why keep sending the password over and
>over again, when you don't have to?

Hm. Good point.

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                                  The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org                                  http://anygui.org