Using Python for processing of large datasets (convincing managment)

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sun Jul 7 10:19:51 EDT 2002

Thomas Jensen wrote:

> Alex Martelli wrote:
>>
>> If you have substantial numeric computations to perform on large
>> arrays, you're almost surely better off using the Numeric package
>> to extend Python, particularly if performance is an issue.
>
> http://www.pfdubois.com/numpy/ ?
> It looks just like what I need!

It's indeed a wonderful tool for computations on large arrays, vastly
extending Python's applicability to scientific applications.

> Thanks!

You're welcome!  I take advantage of the occasion to mention that
Paul Dubois is among the nominees for the "Programmers' Choice"
award, http://www.activestate.com/Corporate/Awards/ActiveAwards.html
(so am I, but I never contributed to Numeric!-), open for everybody
to vote until July 17.  If you find Numeric the best thing since
sliced bread, visiting the site and voting for Paul might be a nice
way to signal your appreciation.

Alex