XML overuse? (was Re: Python to XML to Python conversion)

Jeremy Bowers newfroups at jerf.org
Fri Jul 12 10:52:32 EDT 2002

Peter Hansen wrote:

> It's obviously a religious issue, but I get the feeling that while
> some buy into the XML hype wholesale, and overuse it to their
> detriment, others are now jumping on some anti-XML bandwagon
> (possibly) without having really put it to the test.

I'm not anti-XML.  But I will say XML is only appropriate in rather
narrow circumstances as I outlined. As it so happens, these narrow
circumstances are rather popular, so XML is frequently appropriate. But
you should still use XML only when there are no better choices,
*because* you need trasferability, extensibility, or human readibility,
and nothing else really meets those needs, *not* because it's the first
thing that leaps to mind. For instance, Pickle is quite challenging to
match in XML, if you don't have the XML marshaler at hand, for a novice.

Please don't read anti-XML sentiments into my message. ;-) I said what I
meant and I means what I say. It's not a sweeping condemnation, it's a
rather limited observation.