xml processing : too slow...

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed Jul 24 13:48:27 EDT 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Clearly not everybody agrees, or Paul Prescod, a great XML as well
> as Python expert, wouldn't have developed xml.dom.pulldom, but then
> I guess variety is the spice of life.  I'm very used to thinking in
> event-driven terms (the only way to go for GUI's, the fastest for
> networks, the one supported by SGMLParser and HTMLParser too) so
> SAX feels as comfortable as a pair of Mephisto shoes to me (I'd
> wear no other brand under any condition I can imagine -- I don't
> want my feet to hate me, after all).

It is somewhat difficult to use an event-driven process when you already
have a reason to structure your code in some way other than callbacks.
For instance I was talking yesterday with a developer of Jabber. Based
on what they get in a callback they may make a network call which might
trigger another callback. My basic stance is that you should be able to
use any control flow mechanism in your XML programs. Pull parsing allows
that, push doesn't.
--
Come discuss XML and REST web services at:
  Open Source Conference: July 22-26, 2002, conferences.oreillynet.com