Newbie - help request with serial line (termios?) setup in Python 2.2

Bill Gillespie billintucson at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 27 14:04:29 EDT 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to open a serial line on a SunOs using python 2.2.
I'm new to programming, and fairly new to unix/linux. I have the two
pink Oreilly Python books and have read a couple of tutorials - but I
am a newbie.

After much googling (there is not a lot of novice python/unix/termios
info out there) - this is what I think? I should be doing....

Open the line
Configure the line? termios??
Communicate with the line (ASCII charachters < > at 4800)
Close the line

-----------------------
1) Open the serial line
-----------------------
I do the following:

 >>>    import os
 >>>    os.open('/dev/ttyC43', 0600)

Is the serial line actually open now? No exceptions are raised - but I
do not believe the line is actually open - because I can open it via
another terminal witha "tip" command to the controller that uses the
line.
What is the 0600 integer value and what is it for?

2.) Next I've read that I have to set up the line using termios.
Can someone possibly walk me through the basics of setting up termios
for a serial line with python 2.2.

I just want to read ASCII characters off - and write ASCII charachters
to this serial line - Is termios even needed? Or can the whole
intration be done with out "the termios low level" - level of
interaction?

Some supplemental notes:
The serial line accesses a controller that controls two other devices.
The normal way to interact with the controller is to use the commands:

    sun> tip oftc      (the controller is programmed in Fourth I
think)

That sets up the communication so that you can ask the device for
current settings - it telle you the values, and you can issue commands
to change them if you like. To close I use "$." as the EOF.

Thanks for any help!

Bill