Console Installation

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Jul 30 17:23:35 EDT 2002

[Mathieu Belanger]
> We have many PC installed everywhere in the entire country (Canada) and
> we want to install python 2.2 on each one. The only way for now to do
> that is to log into each PC with PCAnywhere and run the Wise installer.
> It is a way too slow.
>
> Is there a console installer that don't have to be interactive??
> I've search for that everywhere and didn't find anything!
>
> All our PC run WinNT4.

I really don't know.  Here are the docs for the command-line switches the
PythonLabs installer purportedly accepts (I've never tried them; the docs
come from the Wise manual):

"""
/T
    Install in Test mode.
/X pathname
    Extracts files to pathname.
/Z pathname
    Extracts files to pathname, then reboots.
/M
    Runs installation in manual mode, prompting for
    system directories such as Windows, System, etc.
/M=filename
    Specifies a value file for installation. See Set
    Variable on page 293 for more information on
    reading variables
/M1
    Displays the name of each self-registering OCX or DLL as
    it is registered
/M2
    Reserved for internal use by Wise Installation
    System during debugging sessions
/S
    Slent mode, automatic mode with no user choices
"""

If that (particularly /S) doesn't do the trick, I'd suggest contacting
ActiveState.  Their installer (well, at least one of them) is built on MSI
technology, which may be more friendly to remote admin-driven installation.
Or you could try the more minimal PythonWare installer, which seems to
amount to an automated unzip (and doesn't muck with the registry at all):

    http://www.pythonware.com/products/python/index.htm

They're still (according to what the page says) on 2.1.1, though.