Leo.py: Some Thoughts

Edward K. Ream edream at tds.net
Mon Jul 29 08:42:55 EDT 2002

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for these comments. They might be more appropriate for the Open
discussion forum on Leo's SourceForge site:

> +I didn't find a possibility to change the current text field without the
mouse.
> ctrl-u moves the text field. Can you change the focus without mouse?

Control-T, Window-Toggle Active Pane toggles the focus between the outline
and body panes.

A bug.  Some of the items in the Outline-Move/Select menu seem to be
permanently dimmed.  It should be possible to move the focus through the
outline with Ctrl-Up, Ctrl-Down, Shift-Ctrl-Up and Shift-Ctrl-Down.  I'll
fix this for the next release.

> +Link in FAQ "What's the best way to learn to use Leo?"
> is broken

All the links to this spot seem to works for me.  On what page is the link?

> +How do you export? The "Save as" method only lets you save as foo.leo

Look at the commands in the Import/Export submenu in the File menu.

> I am interested in HTML output.

You can output anything you want, as long as it is text :-)  The FAQ
mentions some issues with JavaScript...If you have more questions on this
topic, please ask on Leo's Open Discussion forum.

> +Can you store pictures or tables (HTML-Tables)?

You can store any text.  If that text represents pictures or tables, fine.
Depending on your situation this might be good enough.  Often it is not.
This limitation is due to the limitations of the standard Tk Text widget and
probably won't be fixed until the Tk Text widget gets more capable.

The Yellow Box version of Leo (now defunct) allowed almost anything to be
embedded in text.  Alas, Apple broke their promise to make YB
cross-platform.

> +Difference between "Save to" und "Save as"?

Save As saves the file and changes the filename in the window, so a later
Save saves to the new file name.  Save To doesn't change the filename in the
window.

> +No email adress in the about box. Feedback welcome?

I'll put something there for the next release.  Thanks for suggesting this.

> +If you open it by double-clicking (win32) the path is wrong,
> the LeoDocs.leo can't be found.

I'll look into this and see what can be done...

> A Glossary discribing the following words would be nice:
[snip]

I'll add these to the glossary.

> Exceptions:
[snip]
> File "leoPrefs.py", line 366, in onCancel
> self.set_ivars(c)
> File "leoPrefs.py", line 285, in set_ivars
> self.target_language = self.lang_var.get()
> File "C:\Python22\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 234, in get
> return getint(self._tk.globalgetvar(self._name))
> ValueError: invalid literal for int(): None

Thanks for reporting this.  This is new code.  I'll fix it for the next
release.  3.2 will come out in about a week.

Edward
Edward K. Ream   email:  edream at tds.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines
Leo: http://personalpages.tds.net/~edream/front.html