Python very slow on the Sharp Zaurus - any idea why?

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Mon Jul 22 17:23:33 EDT 2002

> Yeah, I wonder if it's worth to profile the stuff! :)

whenever you have a speed question it is worthwhile to profile.  Try profiling
your game first, then python itself.

> Guys, I'll first test it with Python 2.1.3. Adonthell (the game I'm
> porting) works with any Python >= 1.5.2, so if the problem can be solved
> in the short-term by regressing to 2.1, that'll be fine for now. If the
> differences are significant, then maybe we could consider to add another
> interger-only checking method that would suit in the case of Arm
> processors. I'll try to give you news about it tomorrow.

Another possibility is the runtime overhead of constantly reading and running
scripts.  The Zaurus does not have the benefit of a pc's cache or swap space.
But this is idle speculation until you have some profiling numbers.