expect module and/or functionality? Or SSH wrapper module?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 9 15:30:48 EDT 2002

Quoth claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird):
| If not, no, you can't Expect with pure Python; there's no
| practical way to get the pseudoterminal munging right without
| calls into the C run-time library that Python itself can't
| access.

| I'm working on techniques to use standard distribution instal-
| lations of (Tcl-based) Expect and (pure) Python to achieve
| general results.  The idea is that many hosts--essentially
| all Linuxes, for example--are already equipped with these
| executables, so all you'd need to install are your pure-Python
| scripts.  I don't have these ready yet, though.

That will be interesting.

There is actually some pseudotty support in posixmodule.  Not
sure if anyone has ever managed to make any real use of it -
opening a pseudotty is only the start of your problems - but
on some platforms (quite a few more than come with Expect),
you can at least open a pseudotty.  Expect is a big step up
from there, though.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu