Session ID & Security

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.priv.at
Thu Jul 25 13:33:25 EDT 2002

Am Sam, 2002-07-20 um 06.26 schrieb Paul Rubin:
> Thanks, that's kind of interesting, but because of the issues you
> mention and because of the file system overhead (even if it's a ram
> disk), I still think shared memory is the best mechanism by far.
Well, I'm not that sure. Especially if you consider that there are
filesystems designed to handle many small files (reiserfs) in a db-like
way.

Additionally, have you benchmarked the overhead? Going for a shared
memory solution isn't exactly conforming to the KISS principle.

>  http://gigue.peabody.jhu.edu/~mdboom/omi/source/shm_source/shm.html
>
> is a Python interface to the shm system call that does everything
> required.  Alternatively a semaphore operation (basically a call to an
> atomic test-and-set instruction) could be added to the existing mmap
> module, and you'd simply map a shared file into memory.
>
> For more flexibility, it might be interesting to use MPI for all this
> stuff.  Run your web server on a Beowulf cluster!
I'd guess that MPI is even slower than a file system operation.

Andreas