Transferring an excel file through HTTP

ddoc news at 92tr.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 07:52:54 EDT 2002

Chris wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have a question about clients (on windows) uploading Excel
> spreadsheets (.xls) to a unix server.

Why http?
Why not use a script that uploads them by FTP, using bnary mode?

If it is going from a Windows machine then provide the script with the user
name and password in it, run a a menu item from the start button.

I just say that anything in a particualr directory will go to the distant
server, but if users insist on saving things all over the place you could
have it ask which file first.