Python to XML to Python conversion

thehaas at binary.net thehaas at binary.net
Thu Jul 11 21:22:17 EDT 2002

Mark <markvkane at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Recently my employer has asked me to do some computer work though I'm
> just savvy enough to write minor programs of little significance.  My
> job is to write a program that will be generic enough to take any form
> of Python dictionary and be able to convert it to XML and back.

like -- why?  If he wants to save the data from one session to the next,
the Pickle or cPickle module will be 100x easier.

> Ladies and gentlemen I am completely at a loss, I'm not a good
> programmer.  If anyone one has any good, simple and complicated
> examples, or tips I would be eternally greatful if you'd share them
> with me.  I have searched desperately through every posting I could
> find on the subject, but to no avail.  Please Help!

The problem isn't very hard . . . no deep Python magic.

I'd do the Python -> XML like this:

	outfile = file("out.xml")

	outfile.write("<pydict>")
	for key in dict.keys():
		outfile.write("<%s>%s</%s>\n" %(key, dict[key], key) )

	outfile.write("</pydict>")
	outfile.close()

How's that??  Well-formed XML, without any DOM-overhead.

If you didn't understand very in of the last sentence, than you better
look at the Python docs (www.python.org/doc).  Look for "minidom".
Heck, look up XML.

I'll leave the second problem to you . . . .

-- mikeh