Getting Process List On *nix

William Annis annis at biostat.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 5 11:38:35 EDT 2002

John Abel <john.abel at pa.press.net> writes:

> I am trying to write a script, capable of running on Win32, and *nix,
> which looks for certain processes.  However, I can't seem to find any
> details of how to access of list of running processes under *nix,

        Well, each different flavor of Unix is going to handle this
somewhat differently.  In a lot of recent flavors you have /proc, in
which you'll find a file system representation of processes.

> without shelling out, something I'm loathe to do.

        In this case, shelling out for the Unix side may actually be
most portable.

--
William Annis  -  System Administrator -  Biomedical Computing Group
"When men are inhuman, take care not to feel towards them as they do