python2 import trouble (linux - redhat)

Dave Reed dreed at capital.edu
Wed Jul 17 15:25:58 EDT 2002

> From: Joseph Wilhelm <jwilhelm at outsourcefinancial.com>
>
> > #!/usr/bin/python2.2
> > (or whatever version)
> > for their admin tools.
> >
> > The point is that the problem with redhat has not been that it uses
> > 1.5.2. but that all the admin tools require 1.5.2 to by what "python"
> > invokes. If they has specified the version on thei #! lines, then it
> > would be no problem to install newer versions as well, and they probably
> > would ahve provided packages to do so as well.
> >
> > If all they have done is upgrade to 2.2 or whatever, then we'll all have
> > the same problem in a another year or two :-(
> >
> > -Chris
>
> Actually, if I remember right from when I was browsing the package list,
> Python 2.2 was the -only- version they provided. So "In Theory", they
> have completely deprecated 1.5.2.
>
> --Joseph Wilhelm

I think Chris' point was unless they hard coded /usr/bin/python2.2,
the same issue will occur when Red Hat 8.2 is out with Python2.2 but
the latest version of Python is 2.4 or whatever.

I haven't figured out exactly how Red Hat's configuration programs
work. They all appear to be a link to /usr/bin/consolehelper so it
must do something using argv[0] and call the appropriate program. I'm
interested in learning how their programs ask for the root password
and then run as root.

In the beta (limbo) The first line of

/usr/share/printconf/util/printconf_gui.py

is

#!/usr/bin/python

so it looks to me like the same problem will occur.

Dave