Python design failures (was Re: Let's Talk About Lambda Func

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Mon Jul 29 16:03:42 EDT 2002

> Yes, the Python std lib has backticks in it.  Cleaning that up would
> likely be the first step toward deprecating backticks.  In any event,
> backticks will certainly be available at least until Python 3.0.

well seeing as the python group went through and replaced all of the string
exceptions with class based ones why not have another pass at modernizing
python's lib?

I am not suggesting we kill lambda/map with list comps but little things like
backticks can be killed fairly quickly.

I could submit a patch for the repr cleanup in pretty short order.