XML overuse? (was Re: Python to XML to Python conversion)

Oren Tirosh oren-py-l at hishome.net
Fri Jul 12 01:54:40 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:41:10PM -0400, Peter Hansen wrote:
> Jeremy Bowers wrote:
> >
> > (Thought: XML should never be your *first* choice of file format. It is
> > the choice of *last* resort, when you absolutely *need* easy parsing in
> > multiple languages or environments and can't get it any other way. It is
> > then a much better choice then other formats, but only under those
> > limited, albiet extremely popular, conditions.)
>
> I have to disagree with those who say, in effect, that XML is such
> an unsuitable technology that it is truly a last resort.
>
> XML was adapted from SGML to meet several key goals.  Among those
> was the desire to make a format which was easily human-readable
> and editable using simple tools like text editors.

XML combines all the inefficiency of text-based formats with most of the
unreadability of binary formats :-)

> In addition, it leaves open the possibility of very easily
> processing the data using one of the steadily growing number
> of XML utilities.

A growing number of utilities is a sign that a format is popular, not that
it is good. In fact, it may be argued that a simpler format would actually
need less tools.

adding-more-oil-to-the-religious-war-fire-ly yours,

	Oren