Sockets for a file

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Wed Jul 24 07:29:21 EDT 2002

Teja Sastry wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I would like to know if we can create a unix socket for a file (like
> we do in C or C++ with  struct sockaddr_un)
>    I want to wait on a file in python and trigger some function if the
> file gets some data written in it by another program.
>    Please clarify if anybody has worked on this previously.

I've done it, but not with sockets:

>>> import os
>>> os.mkfifo('/tmp/pappje')
>>> f=open('/tmp/pappje')

a wait here -- just as long as you want.

At some point in another terminal window:

echo ciao > /tmp/pappje

causes the Python interactive interpreter to wake up,
and prompt again -- whereupon you can, e.g.:

>>> print f.read()
ciao

>>> f.close()

Alex