Passing SAFEARRAY data type from win32com.client

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Jul 14 00:02:19 EDT 2002

Steve Greiner wrote:

> I am trying to automate Internet Explorer, and I need to use the Post
> function.  I can get IE to send a Post-method request, but the data
> that it sends appears to be intrepreted as an incorrect type; in fact,
> if I try to send a single character, it actually thinks it should send
> 16 bytes.  It appears to me that the value I'm passing as the Data
> parameter is being passed as the wrong type.  IE expects a SAFEARRAY
> data type, and I think I've tried every Python type, but none of them
> seems to convert correctly.  I am using win32com.client with makepy
> (thought I've also tried it without makepy).  Can anyone tell me if
> I'm attempting the impossible, or should I dig in and figure out what
> I'm doing wrong?

I have no idea.  Please consider posting example code showing what
you tried, so no one has to guess what you're doing.

(I've been automating IE lately as well, but I have to say the
above description sounds strange to me.  I don't know why you
would have to involve SAFEARRAY... aren't you just entering
data into fields in a form, then doing a .submit() on it?)

-Peter