XML overuse? (was Re: Python to XML to Python conversion)

Jeremy Bowers newfroups at jerf.org
Fri Jul 12 11:00:21 EDT 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:
> It is -- easily.  My pet peeve is the idea of using XML files for
> tasks that obviously need a real database, preferably a relational one.
>
> I think some people never really GOT relational databases, no matter
> that they've been around for decades and are so widespread, and they're
> now turning to *overusing* XML to cover up for that:-).

This was the idea in the core of my point. Databases are far more
powerful then any XML library I've ever seen... not counting the XML
databases, I suppose, which don't seem to be in the common use that
relational databases are (and I don't know much about, except $$$).
Don't decide on XML until you've eliminated relational databases, for
instance. (In an experienced engineer's head, that elimination can be
instantaneous, based on the knowlege and experience of the engineer. In
a new programmer, it may take actual thinking.) Indeed, relational
databases are almost as cross-platform and cross-language as XML is!

But if you *need* transferability and extensibility, you'll probably end
up with XML. Databases don't just sit on a file system or get forwarded
in email very well.