a little trap revealed (was Re: Let's Talk About Lambda Functions!)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Jul 29 11:10:11 EDT 2002

"Michele Simionato" <mis6 at pitt.edu> wrote in message
news:2259b0e2.0207280652.202f1721 at posting.google.com...
> Now I see the source of my confusion. I thought the print "statement"
> was
> actually an expression with result None. However in Python
>
> result=print("something")
>
> gives a syntax error. Then my question is: why Guido decided to keep
> the distinction between statements (with no value returned) and
> expressions ? what are the advantages ? is it a matter of personal
> taste ? Sorry if these
> questions sounds naive,

He made that decision for the same reason he decided not to allow
assignments inside expressions. You can find the justification in the FAQ if
you look for it ... 6.30: Why can't I use assignment in an expression.

regards
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/