Do GUIs for DBs exist?

William Dode wilk-spamout at flibuste.net
Fri Jul 19 05:51:44 EDT 2002

Le Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:01:01 +0100
"François Lepoutrre" <francois.lepoutre at seriatim.com> écrivait:

> > the other day, and I was thinking: hey, wouldn't it be
> > great if it had a GUI like MSAccess
>
> Sure i'd like to hear about people delivering apps
> such as the ones you can create with ms-access.
>
> My understanding is that python is a wonderfull clean
> environment to deliver pretty server-side servlets and
> calculation-intensive apps of all kinds.
>
> "Data-and-ui" -intensive apps are still very much of
> a a win32 specialty with (not looking for flame here...)
> vb6, vc,  delphi, vfp and others.
>
> Python is possibly still missing the kind of data-driven
> environment that you find in products such as ms access,
> dbase, foxpro, paradox and other stuff.
>
> Being an occasionnal user of those products i doubt that
> these products could be replicabled in a python world
> as they imply an intimate coupling between
> the db-engine (generally a local one), a set of native
> data-aware components and a scripting environment.
>
> What would be welcome is some kind of generic model
> for data-aware wxpython components including
> dynamic data-grids, combos and others.
>
> Anyone working on this?
Yes i do.
I did something in java and php (finish and working) and now i rewrite it in python.
My goal is to do thinks like that :

a class RecordSet from an sql query contain a list of Row contain a list of Field. Each field can be a subclass of standard field to do special thinks when the value change etc...

class Person(Row):
person=Person()
person.readId(5)
print person.name.value()
print person.telephon.value()

After i can do this :
FormField : a wxpython control for the field of the row
FormRow : a wxpython frame with all the control of the row and button to record
GridRecordSet : a wxpython frame with a grid
and the same for printing in pdf with reportlab or export

I also whant to use the same class for html form in cgi

Ask me if you whant to know more about it, it's in early stage, but very promissing when i compare it to what i did in java.

bye

--
William Dodé - flibuste.net
http://wikipython.tuxfamily.org