Python 2.2.1 Idle can't find _sre (Win98)

Gary Pajer pajer at iname.com
Wed Jul 24 23:00:06 EDT 2002

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message
> [Gary Pajer]
> > I tried to follow the instructions in http://www.python.org/2.2.1/
>
> What instructions <wink>?

[...]

> > crashed with the same error.  I found a file called _SED.PYD in the new
> > installation,
>
> There is no such file.  Do you mean _SRE.PYD?  Even that would be
peculiar.
> That's the name Wise uses internally for the file, but it should have
> changed it to lowercase while installing it.

Right.  _SRE, not  _SED.   Just making sure you're paying attention  :)
But it did unpack in all caps.

> if I were you I'd
> blow away my Python22 directory and start over from scratch.  Or install
> 2.2.1 into a different folder.

Easy enough.  I copied (for safety) a directory of homemade utilities.  Then
I did an uninstall "custom" and blew away most files and registry entries.
Then reinstall, and everything works fine.  Thanks very much.