__del__ in classes derived from Tkinter classes

Petr Klyushkin petrk at pochtamt.ru
Fri Jul 19 07:12:34 EDT 2002

Hello, Fredrik!

 Fredrik> Petr Klyushkin wrote
 >> I'm a Python and Tkinter newbie.  I've noticed that __del__
 >> methods of my classes derived from Tkinter classes are never
 >> called.  Is this normal behavior, or I am doing something wrong?

[...]

 Fredrik> tkinter maintains an internal widget tree.  if you want to
 Fredrik> print "hey" when your toplevel widget is destroyed, over-
 Fredrik> ride the "destroy" method:

[...]

So, when will Python object be destroyed?  Suppose, I have following code:

def f():
  test2 = Test()
f()

When will test2 (Python object! not a Tk widget it represents) be destroyed?

 Fredrik> (and using __del__ is usually bad style even outside
 Fredrik> Tkinter, but that's another story).

Why?

--
                                                             C'ya, Peter.
       --=[petrk at pochtamt.ru]=--=[http://petrk.pochtamt.ru]=--