Sharp Zaurus

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Thu Jul 18 14:02:17 EDT 2002

* William Peterson <wpeterson1 at socal.rr.com> [2002-07-18 10:26 -0700]:
> sarayu balu <sbalu at nyx.net> wrote in message news:<1026919964.826307 at irys.nyx.net>...
> > Hi,
> > Is there any Python, more appropriately Jython, for this PDA ?
> > Is Jython Open Source ?
> > Thanks,
> > SB
>
> Python has been ported, as another poster says.
>
> For Jython, look at http://www.jython.org/platform.html At the bottom
> of the page, while discussing Kaffe, it says that Jython requires a
> full JVM and will have problems with a VM that only implements the
> PersonalJava subset. I believe this is what you have on the Zaurus, so
> it's questionable whether Jython will work there.

There is a StrongARM port of the Blackdown JDK, but AFAIR it requires an
X-Server for GUI stuff. IIRC there _is_ a Java VM that runs on
QtEmbedded on a StrongARM proc, probably it's a commercial one.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930