Python 2.2.1 Idle can't find _sre (Win98)

Gary Pajer pajer at iname.com
Wed Jul 24 21:17:16 EDT 2002

I tried to follow the instructions in http://www.python.org/2.2.1/

First I downloaded http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.2.1/UNWISE.EXE  over
my existing unwise.exe

Then I downloaded http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.2.1/Python-2.2.1.exe

Then I started the installer.  It detected c:/python22 and offered to
install there. I said ok  That means it was installing in the same directory
as version 2.2 lived.  It offered to make backups of existing files, I said
yes, please.

That's all.

Since my first post, I noticed that PythonCard applications crashed with the
same error.  I found a file called _SED.PYD in the new installation, but in
the backup, the filename was lowercase.  I renamed the file to _sed.pyd, and
now PythonCard apps start, but IDLE still doesn't.

Thanks for responding, BTW

news:m3sn290wau.fsf at mira.informatik.hu-berlin.de...