Renting CPU time for a Python script

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jul 20 12:07:57 EDT 2002

news:698f09f8.0207192212.76272194 at posting.google.com...
news:<ah9k4o$259$1 at peabody.colorado.edu>...
> > 1- code in automatic checkpointing and self-restarting abilities.
It's fairly
> > easy to do, and saves a lot of headaches.
>
> Do you know of any examples of this in available code, or could you
> outline how you would implement something like that?  I have a
project
> right now that such a capability would come quite useful in, but
> rather than hazard my own implementation right off, I'd like to try
> and leverage some other efforts.

Details are project specific, but here is outline.

Assume outer loop of long-running program takes 5 minutes.  At bottom
of loop, write out enough data to restart program.  If proccessing
multigigabyte file, this might be a simple as writing f.tell() and
using f.seek() on restart.  For more typical program states, leverage
with (c)pickle to write and read.

If outer loop takes, say 3 seconds, one might add counter to save
after each 100 loops.

If outer loop takes, say, a day, look for inner loop save point (but
restarting will be harder).

Hope this helps.

Terry J. Reedy