Programming/Life ratio (was Re: __call__ bad style?)

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Sun Jul 28 13:50:46 EDT 2002

Aahz graced us by uttering:
> Michael Hudson  <mwh at python.net> wrote:
> > Then I'm ahead of you by ... erm ... 13 years.  Wow, I've been
> > programming (admittedly only as a hobbyist) for nearly a third of my
> > life.  That's scary somehow.
>
> Heh.  For me, it's closer to 3/4 of my life, and I've been doing it
> for pay more than half my life.  Then again, I'm still under 40, and

Let's see. Starting with the TRS-80 CoCo 1, that brings us to just over
4/5 of my life actively programming.  In fact, for those who've read
Linus' book "Just for Fun," his tales of hacking his grandfather's
VIC-20 was eerily similar to my childhood... the major differences being
the make of computer and the continent.

Ah, the nostalgia!  =)  Thx for the trip!

> I'm one of the few people in that category who's used JCL.  (Not the
> only one, from the last time we had this thread.)
>
> On the gripping hand, I never really thought of myself as a programmer
> until I learned Python.

Never did JCL, and never considered myself a programmer till I got I
hands on one of the earliest releases of Borland C++.  Python came
several years later, and I didn't pick it up until the late 1990's, so
you all have a good head start of me in that vein. =)

Tim Hammerquist
--
$ echo espresso > /dev/coffee