Do GUIs for DBs exist?

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 20 05:44:55 EDT 2002

Mark Carter wrote:

> I was using PySqlite (a module that interfaces Python with the SQLite
> database ) the other day, and I was thinking: hey, wouldn't
> it be great if it had a GUI like MSAccess.
>
> Maybe such tools already exist, maybe Tkinter might be useful
> (although
> I've never used it before). Maybe even an interface written in
> CGI/html
> would be best.
>
> Comments?

PyQt provides you with what you want. It includes SQL classes that
support ODBC3, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, and data aware GUI widgets
like QDataTable, QDataBrowser and QDataView.

You can use Qt Designer to build your forms and use the pyuic utility to
generate the Python code that implements those forms.

PyQt includes an example application that allows you to connect to a
database, view it's structure and contents and submit arbitrary queries
- all in about 180 lines of handwritten Python.

PyQt is available from http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/.

Phil