Renting CPU time for a Python script

Zachary Bortolot zbortolo at vt.edu
Fri Jul 19 12:52:59 EDT 2002

Hello Everyone,

I am a graduate student conducting research on using computer vision
techniques to process digital air photos.  As part of my research I am
using a genetic optimization routine that I wrote in Python to find
values for several key parameters.  Unfortunately the genetic
algorithm is quite CPU intensive, and each run requires anywhere from
five to twelve days to complete on a 450MHz Pentium II.  This is
problematic since I have to run the program in a computing lab that is
frequently used for teaching, which means that I am often unable to
complete my runs.  I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions
on where I might go to rent CPU time that is Python and PIL friendly
(the university I am at does have an AIX-based mainframe, but Python
is not installed and users are only given 600k of disk space).  Speed
is not a major issue for me and the program does not use a lot of
memory or disk space.  However, stability is a definite must.  Thanks
in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Zack Bortolot