Good XML tools?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 30 16:27:56 EDT 2002

Laurent Szyster <laurent.szyster at q-survey.be> writes:

> And allways will be. Python is not the right language to write XML
> libraries: it's way too slow.

Notice that PyXML is *not* about writing XML libraries in Python - it
is about writing wrappers around existing XML libraries for Python.

In some cases, this means to write significant parts in Python, in
some cases, the wrapper is very thin. PyXML offers the user a choice
of libraries: fast ones, convenient ones, portable ones, etc. Since
those properties contradict each other, it is the user's choice.

> And for Linux there are Python bindings for libxml and libxslt.

And indeed, I hope to include those bindings with PyXML one day.

> In many case (if not most) XML processing is far easier with a
> dedicated language like XSLT.

I would question that claim. XSLT gives impressing results, but
sometimes, you do want to have a "real" programming language (with
assignments, functions, and all that).

Regards,
Martin