Guide to the python interp. source?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Jul 29 05:41:14 EDT 2002

"Tim Gahnström /Bladerman" <tim at bladerman.com> writes:

> I noticed, but thought that I just had missed it. I thought there
> must be some where for such a large project. But the problem is
> ofcourse ever present, "nobody likes to do documentation"

Python has masses of documentation, but most of it is aimed at Python
programmers, not people who want to hack on the core...

> > > Things I want to change is for example, everything should be "call by
> > > refferense",
> > That may be very hard.  If you want things like this:
> >
> > def f(x):
> >     x += 1
> >
> > i = 2
> > f(i)
> > i --> 3
> >
> > then you have problems.
>
> That is exactly what I want to have, that is more intuitive I think and I
> don't think it must be that hard either.

I don't want to get into an argument with you -- but you're wrong ;-)

Have a look at this page I wrote a while's back:

    http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/hacks/objectthink.html

which explains how Python's object work -- I don't think you can make
call by reference work without changing this model, and then you don't
have Python any more.

FWIW, the way Python objects work is very similar to Lisp and Scheme
(and just similar to Java).

Cheers,
M.

--
  MAN:  How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to
        account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical