GUI toolkits

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Jul 24 08:42:06 EDT 2002

In article <3d3e8e2e_4 at news.newsgroups.com>, JB  <jb at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Stefano Vedovelli wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> in my spare time I am writing a tool in python, with the
>> intention of deliver it under GPL.
>>
>> I am now starting to approach the GUI part. I have read a
>> lot about Tkinter, PyQT and wxWindows, but I am now
>> actually even more confused.
>>
>> As the interface will be "quite" rich, I'd like to know
>> the opinions of people who already faced this decision,
>> which tool they have chosen and why.
>
>I have chosen PyQt, as Qt is itself excellent and PyQt is
>excellent as well.
>In my opinion Qt is superior to Tk, though you may get
>problems if you your OS is Ms-Windows.
>Tkinter is a nice product but suffers somewhat from the
>limitations of Tk. You may want to need the Tk megawidgets,
>that is a set of additional widgets for Tkinter, but I had
>problems with it.
>Then you may study pygtk. Gtk+ is excellent as well but I
>had problems with pygtk.
			.
			.
			.
It's important to know that sensible people choose
each of the three possibilities you've mentioned.
In the grand scheme of things, all three of these
are roughly comparable.  Your decision will probably
depend on subtle, perhaps subjective, dimensions
that are difficult for outsiders to divine.  Your
question's a reasonable one; even more than with
other engineering choices, though, it's important
that you specify your situation clearly.  What are
your platform requirements?  What does "rich inter-
face" mean to you?  Do you prefer to read books or
online documentation?  ...
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net