python threads and the linuxthread pthread library

- c o v e n t r y - coventry at removethisandallhyphens-o-n-e.net
Mon Jul 1 23:27:45 EDT 2002

> Does Jython lift this limitation, by any chance? Or is
> the GIL a universal and unchangable Python artifact?

I don't know about jython, but _nothing_ is unchangeable (well, almost
nothing) - the GIL is whats used right now... Theres no reason to
believe that a non-GIL solution couldn't be found if people put thier
minds to it - it would be *hard*, and might break compatability (ACK!),
but it is possible.

How about a read-lock on global data? - all threads could maintain thier
own locals-state, and just lock on trying to read/write a global...
of course, first, all code in the current implementation would need to
be rentrant for true (OS) threads...

-c