Syntax Error at end of file

Thomas Guettler zopestoller at thomas-guettler.de
Thu Jul 4 03:13:17 EDT 2002

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Thomas> But it would be very nice if the python parser would tell what
>     Thomas> input token it was searching for, and where the start token is.
>
> In a similar thread which occurred just a few days ago it was observed (by
> Tim Peters, I think) that the set of acceptable characters at any particular
> point in the parse is big, so enumerating them in the error message would be
> counterproductive and would just serve to confuse the issue in most cases.

Yes, listing all acceptable characters would be difficult.
But it would be easy if the parser is inside a '''-string and reaches
the end of file, that it tells me where the string started.

I added it to my list of possible python inhancements. One day I want
to see how you can add this to the parser

thomas