calendar lameness!

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Fri Jul 26 20:08:40 EDT 2002

Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> Am Mon, 2002-07-22 um 15.35 schrieb Terry Hancock:
> > "calendar" is pretty neat -- except it has pretty
> > annoying arbitrary limits on the date:
> >
> > 1900-1/1 to 2038-1/18
> Well, this is not that arbitrary. Considering the fact that the
> "calendar" wasn't standardized completly the beginning of the 20th
> century.

An earlier error in the calendar (IIRC, absence of leap century days) caused
the calendar to precess until it was noticeably out of whack.  The Gregorian
Reformation is considered by most (but not all!) countries to have happened
on 3 September 1752, whcn 10 days were axed out of the official calendar.

Thus an accurate, "universal" calendar for the US would show that month as:

     [cascade jb]$ cal 9 1752
        September 1752
     Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
            1  2 14 15 16
     17 18 19 20 21 22 23
     24 25 26 27 28 29 30

And don't get me started on when Easter is.

--jb

--
James J. Besemer  503-280-0838 voice
http://cascade-sys.com  503-280-0375 fax