Python 2.2.1 Build Trouble

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Jul 18 05:51:05 EDT 2002

"Peter Chiu" <P.Chiu at rl.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to build python-2.2.1 on an AlphaServer running Tru64 Unix 5.1a.

Hmm, I thought that worked.

> The .configure process went through okay, but make failed with error:
>
> gcc -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include -DHAVE_CONFIG_
> H -c ./Modules/posixmodule.c -o Modules/posixmodule.o
>
> Modules/posixmodule.c: In function `posix_stat':
>
> Modules/posixmodule.c:1310: `stat' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> Modules/posixmodule.c:1310: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
> once
>
> Modules/posixmodule.c:1310: for each function it appears in.)
>
> Modules/posixmodule.c: In function `posix_plock':
>
> Modules/posixmodule.c:2227: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `plock'
>
> Modules/posixmodule.c: In function `posix_lstat':
>
> Modules/posixmodule.c:3380: `lstat' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> Modules/posixmodule.c: In function `posix_unsetenv':
>
> Modules/posixmodule.c:4118: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `unsetenv'
>
> make: *** [Modules/posixmodule.o] Error 1

Well, looks like some header isn't getting #include-d, I guess because
configure is somehow guessing wrong.  stat not being declared is a bit
surprising.

Probably the easiest thing to do is hack Modules/posixmodule.c to
#include the right headers by hand.  The worthy thing to do is figure
out why configure got this wrong -- but that may be massively tedious.

Cheers,
M.

--
  I really hope there's a catastrophic bug insome future e-mail
  program where if you try and send an attachment it cancels your