Python for data driven website?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jul 11 23:48:48 EDT 2002

Micah Mayo wrote:

> My company is in the early stages of building a web application for
> accountants. Right now we're trying to choose which technology we're going
> to write it in.

You don't need to say any more than that to elicit the correct answer
at this point, which is "what are your requirements?".

You need to get a handle on what you actually need to accomplish,
not just go on a wild search for cool technologies.  You've
implicitly identified that you are uncomfortable with the restrictions
of some proprietary products from certain largish companies, so one
can infer one of your requirements is something like open or free licensing.

What else?  What kind of performance do you need?  Reliability?
Scalability?  Ease of development or maintenance?  Prior experience
in the technology by existing developers?

Come up with the answers to those and many similar questions, and then
you are ready to research the available options and pick the best for
your needs.  I strongly recommend *not* just asking "what can this
product do for me?" because you will end up with a solution to problems
you don't even have, and all kinds of hidden costs as a result.

(My free advice as a consultant... worth what you paid for it. :-)

-Peter