join [was: Re: converting an array of chars to a string]

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jul 8 08:26:56 EDT 2002

[Duncan Booth]

> Writing ''.join(list) still sucks though.

JOINER.join(LIST) has some technical advantages, which are much bolded by
its proponents.  Despite theses advantages, it just remains plain ugly.

Proponents say that we will get used to it, and learn to love it, after a
few days or a few years, depending on how rooted are one's aesthetics.  In a
way, this is quite similar to smoking habits: you get sick the first times,
and you eventually learn to much like it, if you are persistent enough.

I now use this construct all the time, and even guess I'm going to like
it one day.  Yet I hope I will always remember that I'm lying to myself :-).