expect module and/or functionality? Or SSH wrapper module?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Jul 9 16:58:17 EDT 2002

In article <agfdl8$226o$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>,
Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>Quoth claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird):
>| If not, no, you can't Expect with pure Python; there's no
>| practical way to get the pseudoterminal munging right without
>| calls into the C run-time library that Python itself can't
>| access.
>
>| I'm working on techniques to use standard distribution instal-
>| lations of (Tcl-based) Expect and (pure) Python to achieve
>| general results.  The idea is that many hosts--essentially
>| all Linuxes, for example--are already equipped with these
>| executables, so all you'd need to install are your pure-Python
>| scripts.  I don't have these ready yet, though.
>
>That will be interesting.
>
>There is actually some pseudotty support in posixmodule.  Not
>sure if anyone has ever managed to make any real use of it -
>opening a pseudotty is only the start of your problems - but
>on some platforms (quite a few more than come with Expect),
>you can at least open a pseudotty.  Expect is a big step up
>from there, though.
>
>	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Also, it was a grievous error for my previous follow-up to fail
to mention PySSH.  That's the *real* starting point I should have
recommended.

PLEASE be aware that you don't have to have Expect on the host
where you want to use it.  <URL:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=7237/sam0207a/0207a.htm > makes
exactly that point at greater length.  In particular, it's some-
times possible to control a platform even without being able to
program ptys there.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net