Requesting a reference for a book on NNTP

Mark Jackson mjackson at wrc.xerox.com
Thu Jul 25 08:52:45 EDT 2002

bogusdrop at myself.com (TuxTrax) writes:

> I need to learn how clients query nntp servers for specific messages,
> what protocols are involved, how those protocols and commands are
> used, syntax involved, authentication methods: in short, I need a book
> that will teach me everything I would need to know to write a
> newsreader (as far as interfacing with the usenet servers are
> concerned), although that is not the project I am embarking on.

If you find something better than RFC977 ("Network News Transfer
Protocol") and RFC2980 ("Common NNTP Extensions") please let me know.
They've been adequate for my purposes (I maintain xvnews, an
XView-based newsreader) but I'm sure I'm missing stuff.

Beyond that, look at the code for any open-source newsreader or for the
Python nntplib module - or, as has been suggested, just use the latter
directly.

	What is this endless series of meaningless experiences
	trying to teach me?		- Bruce Eric Kaplan