Slow program exit on Dec Alpha 4.1 OSF

renez at lightcon.xs4all.nl renez at lightcon.xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 26 17:44:52 EDT 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to collect information from a cvs repository.
Basically I visit every RCS file in the repository
	get tags:version with line=file.readline
	and build up the following dictionaries

	File[FileId] = name
	FileIndex[name] = (FileId , (branchetag (Bole, Bole)) )
	tag[name] = (tagid,counter)
	tagindex[tagid] = name
	filetag[FileId, tagid] = version
	tagfile[tagid, FileId] = version

	and i run it on part of the repository for 500 files
	and it came back with my message (and last statement!)
	Done 500 file 485 tags

	Then the program sits for a long time  (1 min and more)
	before it gives me back the shell prompt.
	If i look at ps it says
	... size    WCHAN    ...
	... 25M     nxmbloc  ...

	The less files I process the faster the program comes back
	after the final message.
	I assume Python is cleaning up the shop like free memory etc,
	Which probably means I'm very inefficient with variables or
	other strange conceptions of my own.

	I cannot make head or tails out of this and  probably most
	of you also not out of this message ;-( too.

	Anyway this is python 2.2.1 compiled out of the box
	with
	> CC=cxx CXX=cxx ./configure --prefix=$HOME/python
	> make install
	OS = OSF4.1 dec
	compiler digital cxx compiler 6.xx

	Anyone seen this behavior and have an explanation for it.

	The source code is less than 100 lines but that doesn't say
	much other then that Python is very compact programming
	language.

	René