xml processing : too slow...

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Jul 24 12:16:26 EDT 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Actually I hadn't used xml.dom.minidom in AGES (had to refresh my
> dim memories to write the XML chapter for the Nutshell) -- SAX is
> just TOO much better for typical XML-parsing tasks in my opinion.

my second generation XML-RPC implementation is built on top
of a light-weight DOM library.  the marshaller and unmarshaller
implementations are about 15 lines each.

the corresponding code in xmlrpclib.py is just under 300 lines...

> Clearly not everybody agrees, or Paul Prescod, a great XML as well
> as Python expert, wouldn't have developed xml.dom.pulldom, but then
> I guess variety is the spice of life.

guess Paul, like me, prefers "seeing short, concise, readable classes
that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code -- not
reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death." ;-)

</F>