I'd give up Perl tomorrow if only...

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Tue Jul 2 04:00:46 EDT 2002

brueckd at tbye.com wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, holger krekel wrote:
> > IMO the standard-lib approach doesn't scale very well.
> > Python seems to get to a stage where the google-path doesn't cut it, either.
>
> I don't think it scales that well, either, and I agree that it's not
> the best long-term solution, but for now it seems to be an
> important-but-not-urgent type of problem. That's why I think it's a good
> idea to keep working on a solution. IOW, if one's focus is on the present
> and they say, "we need CPYN" I say, "nah", but if one's focus is on the
> future I say, "yeah". :)
>
> > >From Guidos keynote at EuroPython i recall some statistics about python's
> > growth.  A Comprehensive Python Network (CPYN) could accomodate and support
> > this growth. Better sooner than later, not?
>
> Sure... I'm just musing that (1) when it becomes urgent (or a little
> sooner) I'm fully confident it'll get built and that (2) not being too
> urgent is why it hasn't happened yet.

So we almost agree (for an approriate definition of almost :-)

IMO building such a system requires a lot of motiviation for people
to actually do it.  Saying "not urgent" is slightly discouraging ...
I don't think that's your intention, though.

In fact, i have noticed people getting stuck in improving python
standard lib because it requires a lot of buerocracy to get it
distributed.  Lowering the barrier for improvements is very important
right now.

    holger