Using Python for processing of large datasets (convincing managment)

Thomas Jensen spam at ob_scure.dk
Sun Jul 7 07:40:33 EDT 2002

Paul Rubin wrote:

> It sounds like your applciation would speed up a lot by judiciously
> adding some indices to your tables.  Talk to your DBA.

That's me (small company :-)
Seriously I've been spending some time optimizing the DB recently, which
resulted in a speedup of a factor of about 2. Most long running calls
are gone now, but still there are architectual flaws in the (C++) code
that cause major slowdowns.
Still we'd like be able to handle >10 times the current amount of data,
preferably without buying 10 times the horsepower :-).

[snip - rewriting jobs]

> It doesn't sound to me like you need anything like this.  Reorganizing
> your database may completely solve your problem.

We do need to consider several modifications to our database - indices
as well as new/modified tables. However the current job would need
substantial modifications to take advantage of it.

--
Best Regards
Thomas Jensen