PythonWin + other GUIs = CRASH!

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Wed Jul 3 18:53:19 EDT 2002

Only reason I can see for needing something like this (unless you're a
masochist or a masochist's friend) is in a GUI-independent IDE. There is
only one solution: create a remote control module and then spawn your target
in a new process/python interpreter (that autoloads the remote controller
before the target is loaded). This is the only way to ensure that the event
processing loop for the GUI isn't disturbed by an event processing loop from
another GUI library. Of course, it also keeps the target app relatively
isolated from the host IDE code.

I know that the Wing IDE and HAP debuggers both have a remote control
protocol; have a look. Alternatively, looking through Python's "batteries",
the RPC module might be a place to start on such a scheme.

Regards,

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA