Python design failures (was Re: Let's Talk About Lambda Functions!)

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Jul 30 04:55:04 EDT 2002

"Donn Cave" <donn at u.washington.edu> writes:

> What he said - "... nearly indistinguishable from single quotes."
> Density at the expense of legibility is why I'd say it doesn't really
> fit with my ideal of Python programming style.

On one of Guido's slides he also mentions problems with typesetters
changing both `a` and 'a' to `a'....

> On the other hand, list comprehensions certainly would fall in that
> category too, and there's no question that I'm out of touch with the
> prevailing sentiment on comp.lang.python about things like this.

Hey, I like <>.

> And the distribution library appears to use `` rather liberally -
> probably more than repr().

Maybe they're older?  Not sure on this one -- both are certainly
pretty old.

> Obviously this doesn't make it any better (is Perl more wonderful
> for all the people who use it, or Visual Basic, C++, etc?)  But we
> can't pretend there's a consensus.

Good sigmonster :)

Cheers,
M.

--
  Roll on a game of competetive offence-taking.
                                            -- Dan Sheppard, ucam.chat