A problem with urllib

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Tue Jul 2 19:54:00 EDT 2002

Aki Niimura wrote:

 > I run your demo script
 > in my environment, however, I got "HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization
 > Required" in both cases.

Well, that's yet more puzzling.

 > Bryan, if you have tested your script with Linksys DSL
 > router, could you provide me the type of router (mine is BEFSR41) and
 > the firmware version (mine is 1.42.7)?

The model, as shown on the front of the unit is BEFSR41. The firmware
version, as reported on the "Status" page is  "1.37, Jan 03 2001". So I
have the same model with earlier firmware.

 > I tried the script both from Solaris and from Windows, but I got the
 > same result.
 >
 > Any further suggestions are also appreciated.

You might re-check that "http://:admin@192.168.1.1/" still works from a
browser.  Possibly the password got changed.

Then, I'd suggest you examine (or post here) the output that my sample
code returned.  Possibly they moved away from "basic" authentication in
the later firmware.

--Bryan