XP: on or off-topic? (was Re: Efficient python programming...)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jul 4 08:21:20 EDT 2002

James Ashley wrote:

> In article <3D23D092.4E3AD523 at engcorp.com>, Peter Hansen wrote:
> > Simon Foster wrote:
> >>
> >> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 21:03:08 +0100, "James Kew"
> >> <james.kew at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >> "You can have it right"
> >> "You can have it cheap"
> >> "You can have it now"
> >>
> >> Pick any two.
> >
> > Interestingly, XP provides a way to have all three...
[...]
> But does that discussion belong here?  Seems to me that there are plenty
> of python-specific theads going on.  There seem to be many other places
> to examine this forum.

If you have been reading all those threads, you'll have noticed a
number of questions that come up from time to time about developing
large applications with Python, using software patterns with Python,
unit testing with Python, optimizing Python, and so on.

Just because such a thread wanders a little away from Python itself
for a while doesn't make it unsuitable for this newsgroup/mailing list.
Python programmers are by definition not the kind to follow the
rest of the crowd, and they also tend to be interested in practical
advice about how to improve their results and the way they get them.

And you can always stop reading the thread, too.  Vote with your feet.
But if you aren't so quick to dismiss it, you may find the thread
comes back to Python in interesting ways, and you might even learn
something.

-Peter